Friday, April 12, 2013

Rivendell Bicycle Group Atlantis

Last time we discussed bicycles, and I mentioned some brand names we would review.  We'll start at the end of my list, with the Rivendell Bicycle Works Atlantis.  Even the company name sounds wonderful, like a secluded and safe mountain sanctuary with magical elves casting spells on bicycle lugs and tubes.  OK, the elves only live in New Zealand, but the magic of the lugs and tubes are there, foremost in how the frame responds to the road.

Rivendell Bicycle Works Atlantis.
These bicycles are sold pretty much any way you want them, starting at "somewhere around $3600" with a really nice set of parts.  The bare frame, fork and headset will cost you $2300.   It comes in one color, "creamy greenish blue".  For an additional $350 you can get any color you want that they approve.  As for parts, you could discuss this brake pad versus that gear set all day and never get on the road.  I'll assume these people really understand bicycle touring and they will set me up nicely.
Atlantis with flat handlebars.
Photos show bikes available with traditional dropped handlebars, and with upright bars, and with panniers, loaded for touring.  Reviews were mostly 5 Stars, with just about everyone saying this has become their go-to bike.  Others say they don't ride their older bikes anymore.  Some had even used this bicycle for loaded off-road tours.  You can't have better press than that!
Atlantis shown in this photo with fenders, racks, basket and panniers.
I have never ridden an Atlantis, but I have ridden a Bridgestone MB-1 mountain bicycle, owned by a friend in Colorado.  He bought that bike in 1994 and is still riding it.  At the time I wanted a Bridgestone RB-T, a predecessor of the Atlantis.  While these are very different bikes, the design element of the companies are very similar.  What I like about Rivendell is that they are the only ones making these bicycles and accessories, and they have kept to that same idea consistently for over 15 years.  I do like the option to not support a racing-ready mindset just to win a race every year.  And I like the long-frame steel bicycle design and the bomb-proof parts.
A real head badge!
I still pull out my 1994 Bridgestone catalog occasionally and re-read the fine articles about steel, aluminum and titanium manufacturing processes, wool jerseys, Nokona leather baseball gloves, beeswax: nature's loctite and my favorite, how to ride a bike forever.  I don't own any other bicycle catalogs.  Then I go online and read similar stories about a small bicycle company called Rivendell.   It looks like the Rivendell Atlantis really could be that bicycle that would last me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment