Friday, October 24, 2014

Missing Bicycling in Colorado

The ride dates are June 13 - 20, 2015
The 13 years we lived in Colorado, I bicycled the region.  I rode the bicycle trails from Castle Rock to downtown Denver (plus road gaps).  I rode the parks (valleys).  I rode the plains.  I pedaled up and down the mountains, even Climbing Mount Evans once.
In 2001, I bicycled Ride The Rockies.  Getting ready for that ride, I had to build up to bicycling over 200 miles each week.  That had me starting rides the fall before, bicycling indoors (yuck) during the winter, and building a planned mileage base over the spring.
The ride began on Father's Day.  We rode between 75 and 100 miles plus crossed the Continental Divide almost each day.   Needless to say, this was the best-handled group ride of 2000 riders ever!
Planning was great, accommodations were excellent, food and music were great!
The rides took us through local bicycling routes in the backcountry, along a 14 mile gravel road, and along quiet highways.  The mountainous views were spectacular, the small towns quaint (and overwhelmed with 2000 visitors suddenly stripping the store shelves) and I learned how the Denver Post and sponsors supported the local communities where we camped.  There were group talks daily and I met the Laura of Laura Bars, quite nice!
That last day we climbed the Rockies from Grand Lake and bicycled Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park to the mountain top tundra at 12,200 feet elevation.  The drop down into Estes Park was both scary and very cool with a surprise steep climb at the end, just like it happened every other day we rode.
I remember that last night before dinner, I ate a foot long Subway sandwich with a cookie and a drink.  Then I walked over to the park and had 2 servings of lasagna with veggies and garlic bread. For dessert, I finished a large Blizzard.  By the time I got back to my hotel room, I was famished and had to walk down to the mini-mart to load up on enough carbohydrates to allow me to sleep.  My jaws hurt from eating so much all week and the 1 pack of bagels I ate daily were barely enough. Lesson learned.
Anyway I still miss the 100 mile bike rides right out my door and how the 200-plus mile weeks of bicycling felt, how alive I was and the joy I had when bicycling.  That's why I ride.
Congratulations to all applying for the 2015 Ride The Rockies.


No comments:

Post a Comment